The State Library of Iowa began as a territorial library in 1838 by an Act of Congress. When Iowa became a state in 1846, the territorial library became the State Library of Iowa. The original mission of the State Library was to provide services to state government. Over the years, this mission grew to include the planning and development of library services on a statewide basis. Today, the State Library, a division of the Iowa Department of Education, offers a multitude of services and programs to the libraries and citizens of Iowa.
Ola Babcock Miller Building History
The Miller Building was originally called the Iowa Historical Memorial and Arts Building. The wings were built in stages between 1897 and 1910. The State Library has been housed in the building since 1910. Renovation of the building began in 1999 and ended in 2001.
A history of Iowa's State Librarians