"The instructor's knowledge is fantastic!"
Quote from student who took part in Iowa Library Services (IaLS) classes during National Library Week
IaLS offered two new classes this year in celebration of National Library Week: "An Introduction to the Pioneer History of the State Library's Special Collection" (instructor Cory Quist) and "Exploring Iowa's Cultural Heritage Online" (taught by Pam Rees) Both classes drew historians and researchers, in addition to state employees.
177 students attended 14 classes, some of which were online this year. (See photos)
Said one student, "As a citizen interested in history, it was very interesting to know more of the history of the state through the acquisitions of the state library."
Other classes were:
- Finding information on Iowa State Government Websites (Instructor Tom Keyser, IaLS)
- Flash Drive/Hard Drive/DVD? Preserving Your Digital Files (Keyser)
- Get the Most from EBSCOhost (Jay Peterson and Barb Corson, IaLS)
- Improve Your Google Skills (Corson)
- Maximize Your Effectiveness: Using Webinar Software (Peterson)
- Open Meetings/Public Records Law (Angie McBridge, State Ombudsman's Office)
- Reliable Health Information - Where to Find It on the Internet (Pam Rees, IaLS)
- Save Your Documents: Iowa Publications Online (Keyser)
- State Records Officers: Basic Records Management (Jeffrey Dawson, State Archives & Records Program)
- Using Census Data Effectively (Gary Krob, IaLS, State Data Center)
- Using the Iowa Administrative Code Online (Emily Meyer, Legislative Service Agency)
- Using the Legislative Web Site (Meyer)
Students wrote on their evaluations: "This was a very practical course on what to do to preserve your important documents and photos." "This class was very applicable to my current job responsibility." "The instructor thoroughly explained the legislative website."
National Library Week is a time to celebrate the contributions of our nation's libraries and library workers and to promote library use and support. From free access to books and online resources to library business centers that help support entrepreneurship and retraining, libraries offer opportunity to all.