When you started your job at the library did you walk in to a well-ordered and prepared work place, or were things less than ideal when you first started?
The producers of "Library Talk," a regular feature of Iowa Library Services' Town Meetings, are looking for librarians or library trustees with a story to tell about their experiences with business continuity during staff transitions. We are looking for dramatic stories about these topics, or others, related to planning and preparation for library staff changes:
* retirements (abrupt or otherwise)
* the recruitment and hiring process
* staff orientation (or lack thereof)
* policies--written, accessible, retrievable (or not)
* procedure manuals--written, accessible, retrievable (or not)
* usernames and passwords--recorded, secured, accessible (or not)
What happened? How did you cope? How did you succeed? Send a brief description of your experience to your local Iowa Library Services District Office.
If your story is selected you will get a chance to share it with the Town Meeting audience in the city nearest you. This year's Town Meetings will be held:
- Wednesday, September 4 in Mason City
- Thursday, September 5 in Storm Lake
- Friday, September 6 in Creston
- Tuesday, September 10 in Waterloo
- Wednesday, September 11 in Coralville
- Thursday, September 12 in Urbandale