Call for New Libraries for PLOW
Any public library in Iowa is invited to get a free Web site and e-mail hosting. The PLOW (Putting Libraries on the Web) program is looking for new public libraries for PLOW Round 8.
Fill out the Letter of Intent and we will obtain a domain name and prepare a Web site for your library.
The Letter of Intent must be received at the State Library by December 31, 2013, or the Web form must be submitted by December 31, 2013.
For more information, keep reading or visit http://www.statelibraryofiowa.org/go/plow
To participate in the program, your library must:
- Have high speed Internet access and continue to pay for it
- Complete and return a Letter of Intent (FAX to 515-281-6191), or complete the online Web form: http://www.statelibraryofiowa/go/plow-form
- Commit a staff person to attend the required training (2 six-hour classes)
- Class 1: February 7 -OR- February 11, 2014 in Des Moines at Iowa Library Service's office building (attend one of these)
- Class 2: March 2014 various dates and various sites around Iowa. (attend one of these)
- Be able to devote at least one staff hour per week to maintain and update your Web site
The strength of the PLOW program is the emphasis on training and education. Library staff not only learn how to use the software to create the Web site, but also learn how to write for the Web, how to create exciting and memorable content, and how to maintain a Web site while running a library.
The Web sites are preloaded with a variety of local information specific to each library, including links to local catalogs, location, hours, contacts, and trustees. As library staff members are trained and become comfortable with their library's Web site, they will be able to add their own content.
Through the e-mail hosting service, each public library will be able to have consistent and stable e-mail addresses and manages their own accounts.
At no time is the library left unsupported in this endeavor. Technical support is provided by Iowa Library Service's Library Resource Technicians who are available to public libraries by phone, e-mail and in-person.
If you have questions please contact Marie Harms, 515-281- 3464, 800-248-4483, email@example.com