The State Library encourages all Iowa public libraries to participate in the Annual Survey. Data submitted in the Annual Survey is used on the local, regional, state, and federal levels. Filing a complete annual survey is one of the requirements to receive Enrich Iowa: Direct State Aid funding.
The statistics gathered in the Annual Survey are helpful when librarians want to:
- Compare their own library activity from year to year
- Compare information from libraries of similar size
- Obtain statistics to support budget requests
- Analyze the needs of their community
- Plan how the library will serve the community in the future
The FY16 annual survey is not available yet. Directors will be notified when the survey is ready to be filled out. Due date is October 31, 2016.
- We will send a notice to all public library directors when the survey is ready.
- The user name and password for each library are the same as those used last year. The notice sent to directors will contain your user name and password as a reminder. You can also request your login information by contacting Toni Blair.
- You can download and print a PDF or web page version of previous surveys from FY00-FY15 once logged into Web Collect.
Annual Survey Login
Use this link to find surveys from previous years (FY00 to FY15).
A set of self-paced tutorials to help you learn how to use the survey interface and answer questions about the survey. We'll be adding new tutorials over time and will eventually cover all aspects of the online survey. Updated 9/1/2011.
Other Useful Links and Files
The powerful web-based software program offering easy access to and manipulation of Iowa public library statistics. With Connect you can quickly create rank order tables and colorful graphs and tables. You can also use tools that enable you to organize your results into a report or presentation. FY14 is the most current data.
Iowa Public Library Statistics, FY99 - Current
Selected results from the Annual Survey.
Institute of Museums and Library Services
National data, publications, and peer comparisons for public libraries, also data for State Library agencies.
City Tax Rates and Library Levies
City tax rates and assessed valuation, including the minimum funding amount ($.0675 per thousand) and the amount that could be generated by the $.27 special levy. In (.pdf) and (.xls) formats. Funding and valuation information is from the Iowa Department of Management. Population is from the 2010 Census.
Library Board Membership
An online form to collect library board member information.
The public library annual survey:
- Gathers current information about public service outlets, holdings, staffing, income, expenditures, circulation, services, and hours open.
- Collects data that is used at the local, regional, state, and national levels to compare library performance, justify budget requests, track library data over time, assist in planning and evaluation, and provide valuable information for grants and other library programs.
- Is collected by all 50 states according to guidelines established by the Public Library Statistics Cooperative (PLSC). The information contained in the Iowa Public Library Statistics is based on definitions approved by PLSC.
- Is authorized by Iowa Code 256.51 (1)(h).