The certification programs for Iowa public librarians are intended to:
- improve library service in Iowa by developing the skills of public library directors and staff
- encourage public librarians to acquire, maintain, and develop their skills through basic and continuing education
- provide recognition for public librarians
- enhance the public image of librarians and libraries
- provide guidelines that public library boards may use in developing staff hiring policies
Iowa Library Services sponsors two certification programs. Public Library Director Certification is designed for library directors and is required to meet standards as part of the Direct State Aid program. Public Library Staff Certification is designed for library staff and is not required to meet any standards for Direct State Aid.
Why become certified?
Reasons for becoming certified include:
- commitment to the library profession
- recognition of ongoing commitment to improving professional skills
- personal fulfillment
- career enhancement
- the Direct State Aid program for public libraries, part of Enrich Iowa, requires certification of the library director