SILO has developed a new and improved version of its interlibrary loan system!
- On April 1, 2017 the new system opened to Iowa libraries for new account registration.
- On May 1, 2017 library staff can begin to enter ILL requests into the new system.
These resources provide some basic training and an overview of the features in the new SILO Interlibrary Loan System. Find out how to use the new system for creating and processing transactions and how to use some of the new features of the system including, tracking transactions, reports, printable shelf lists, book inserts and mailing labels. Use these resources to prepare for the opening for new transactions May 1, 2017.
- Video Overview Part 1 - This video explains the transition from the old system to the new system, introduces roles, permissions and groups of users, defines terms used in the new system and traces the path of the transactions travel within the system.
- Video Overview Part 2 - This video demonstrates the new system by examining the menu options and shows how to use the system to create a transaction and how to process transactions.
- Slides with notes in PDF format to download- The slides used in the webinar and the videos. Use these for more detailed information about the system. In PDF format to download.
- Glossary of ILL terms in PDF format to download - Use this guide to become familiar with the terms and states of interlibrary loan transactions. This document is in PDF for easy downloading and printing
As we roll out the new system, we need you to complete the following important steps to ensure a smooth transition and avoid an interruption in service; complete instructions on each step follows:
1. Create a Library Director account in the new system
2. Receive approval from State Library staff
3. Set notification emails
4. Set your library's ILL contact information
5. Have your library staff create accounts in the new system
6. Promote accounts to library staff role
Please follow these instructions to get your account and your library setup in the new system. If you have any questions throughout the process, please contact your district staff
Getting started in the new SILO ILL system
The new system follows current security practices. Everyone that uses the new system must register for their own account. Each account should be associated with an individual and not the library as a whole. User names and passwords should not be shared between library staff.
All library staff that may need to create, update, or check the status of ILL transactions must complete the following steps:
- Create an account in the new system that will be approved by your library director.
- Set notifications to select which email notifications you want to receive from the new system.
In the new SILO ILL system the term Library Director is used as an administrative role. One user at each library must be assigned to this role. This user may be the library director or the head of the ILL department.
After district staff at the State Library have assigned an account the library director role, this user will have two additional permissions:
What's new in the new system?
- Complete tracking of all transactions from placing a new request until the item is checked back in to the lending library.
- An ILL logging and tracking system for all of the library's borrowing and lending.
- A searchable reporting system.
- Printable transaction histories, mailing labels, book bands and book inserts.
- Multiple addresses for delivery and returns.
What's happening to the old system?
- The old system will continue to run simultaneously with the new system, while ILL transactions finish moving through the old system.
- Menu options in the old system will gradually disappear as the functionality moves to the new system.
- The System Activity Summary Reports will continue to be available in the old system.
- The same Iowa Locator Union Catalog used in the old system will continue to be used in the new system.