LibraryTalk is a web forum for members of the Iowa library community. Libraries may use it to use to exchange information, have lively discussions, sell or swap materials, and share the successes and challenges that come with working in the library field. Topics posted on LibraryTalk are divided into categories including: General Talk, Buy Sell Swap Talk, and Youth Teen Talk.
LibraryTalk is not intended to be used for sales or commercial messages involving personal profit.
If you're a librarian and need assistance on library management and budgeting issues, please contact your District Office.
General reference questions should be referred to State Library reference desk.
Sign Up for an Account
- Go to the LibraryTalk website: https://lt.silo.lib.ia.us/.
- Click on the Sign Up button in the upper right corner of the page. You will be prompted to Create New Account.
- Complete each field and click on the Create New Account button.
- Watch for a message from LibraryTalk to Confirm your new account, and click on the link contained in the message.
- On the LibraryTalk website, click on the Click here to activate your account button to activate your account.
- Click on the Continue to LibraryTalk button.
- You'll be logged into LibraryTalk.
Post New Messages
You can post to LibraryTalk through email and through the website. Please use the search feature in the upper right corner before starting a new topic.
Read New Posts
You can read posts on LibraryTalk through email and through the website.
If you're getting too much email from LibraryTalk, you may want to adjust your email notification settings for each category.
Browse Prior Posts
You can browse everything that's ever been posted on LibraryTalk by category through the website. To view older posts, just keep scrolling down. Topics will load automatically. There's no need to refresh the page. Use the links at the top of the main page to view the latest posts, your new posts, your unread posts, or the top LibraryTalk topics.
You can also use the magnifying glass icon in the upper right corner to search all posts on LibraryTalk.