- Most Iowa public library boards have the authority to hire and evaluate the library director; adopt library policies; shift budget funds from one line item to another; approve library expenditures and more. See trustee job description below.
- One of the best things you can do as a trustee is to read your library ordinance.
- Changing the make-up, manner of selection or authority of a library board must be done through a referendum (Iowa Code, Section 392.5). For more information, see the Iowa Library Trustee's Handbook.
- State law requires public library boards of trustees to be gender-balanced
Published by the State Library to give trustees a basic understanding of their responsibilities and power.
In Service to Iowa: Public Library Standards, Standard #14 (Tier 1) states, "The library director conducts an orientation program for new board members." Use the resources on the left to orient your board.
LibraryTalk Forum - Trustees
- Receive discussions via e-mail, discuss library industry news, trustee workshop announcements, and information on topics of interest to library board members. Sponsored by the State Library.
- Get started with LibraryTalk at https://lt.silo.lib.ia.us/.