I. NAME AND PURPOSE
- The Sunlight Public Library Board of Trustees, hereafter referred to as the Board.
- The Board will comply with the Iowa Code in all questions of library law and governance and will further comply with the regulations set forth in the city’s library ordinance. The Board’s specific powers and duties are set forth in the library ordinance.
II. BOARD MEETINGS:
- The Board shall meet on the last Wednesday of every month (excluding December) at 1:30 PM in the Sunlight Public Library’s conference room.
- A quorum shall consist of 4 members (from its total membership of 7 trustees)
- The Board shall comply with Iowa’s Open Meetings law by printing and publicly posting a copy of its agenda 24 hours prior to the meeting.
- The Board shall record its proceedings as minutes and shall keep copies of the minutes available for public inspection.
- The Director of the Sunlight Public Library shall be present and participating at each meeting of the Board.
- The Board will conduct its meetings according to parliamentary procedure as detailed in the latest edition of Robert’s Rules of Order.
III. OFFICERS AND COMMITTEES
- Officers shall be the Board president, vice president, and secretary and shall be elected at the annual meeting in July.
- The president shall preside at all meetings, appoint all committees, and generally perform all duties associated with the office. In the absence of the president, the vice president shall assume the president’s duties. The secretary shall record all proceedings of the Board.
- Committees shall consist of the following: Personnel Committee, Budget & Finance Committee, Public Relations Committee. The president as needed shall appoint ad hoc committees.
- Each committee shall act in an advisory capacity and shall report its recommendations to the full Board.
IV. MAJOR FUNCTIONS
- Hire and evaluate the library director.
- Set salaries and benefits for the library’s personnel.
- Participate in the budget process and secure adequate financial support for the library’s operations and services.
- Set policies for the library’s operations and services.
- Engage in planning for the library’s future.
- Ensure library director and staff participation in training and continuing education.
- Participate in Board training and educational opportunities.
- Ensure the library’s involvement in Iowa Library Services’ initiatives.
These bylaws may be amended at any meeting of the Board with a quorum present, by a unanimous vote of the members present.