The board must reach consensus on what they want a new director to accomplish and what qualifications are needed in a director for the library at this point in time. In order to do this, the board needs to discuss the following questions:
- What is the role of the library in the community?
- Have community needs changed? Has the library kept pace?
- What direction does the library need to go?
- What qualifications are needed in the next director?
- What is the reason for the job opening?
- Was the previous director dissatisfied? Why?
- Was the board dissatisfied with the previous director? Why?