More On the Value of Libraries
- Stephen's Lighthouse. The Value of Public Libraries. Several important links to information.
- Serving New Immigrants. American Library Association.
- Is this the golden age of public libraries? By Robin Heffler. USC News, January 2, 2014.
- An extensive look at the many roles public libraries play in the community, including their social, economic and educational/literacy impacts. The American Library Association.
- How Americans Value Public Libraries in Their Communities: Section 2: Public Libraries’ Importance and Impact. By Kathryn Zickuhr, Lee Rainie, Kristen Purcell and Maeve Duggan. Released: Pew Internet and American Life Project. December 11, 2013
- Community Centered: 23 Reasons Why Your Library Is the Most Important Place in Town. By Julie Biando Edwards, Melissa S. Rauseo, & Kelley Rae Unger on April 30, 2013, Public Libraries Online. Information on: Libraries as Community Builders, Libraries as Community Centers for Diverse Populations, Libraries as Centers for the Arts, Libraries as Universities, Libraries as Champions of Youth
- A new Pew Internet and American Life study reports really interesting findings about the reading, technology and library habits of younger Americans. "The under-30 age group remains anchored in the digital age, but retains a strong relationship with print media and an affinity for libraries.” View the complete report.
- Parents, Children, Libraries and Reading - A report from the Pew Research Center's Internet & American Life Project
- “Libraries Look Beyond the Shelves” Libraries are shifting from places where you look up facts to places where you learn skills. “The role of public libraries is creating spaces that connect people to information and ideas….It’s still a really powerful message and mission we need to continue.”
- Community Centered: 23 Reasons Why Your Library Is the Most Important Place in Town - Public Libraries Online
- Brad Meltzer:"Don’t Close the Book on Libraries!"
Submitted by Jan Carmichael on Mon, 05/02/2011 - 11:43
- Show 'em You're Hurting - David Miller, Former Board President, State Library of Ohio
- Let-them-eat-cake attitude threatens to destroy a network of public assets - by Scott Turow, president, Authors Guild. Huffington Post, February 15, 2011
- 12 Ways Libraries are Good for the Country - American Libraries, 12/21/10. Click hear for a Word document of this article.
- What Resonates with Decision Makers - Notes taken at the Rural Library Advocacy Workshop, Boston, 2006
- Struggling to be Heard? Promote Your Library - Partner with Others by Ben Hildebrandt, Iowa Bankers Association.
- Libraries that Matter - "Reaching beyond the buzz of high design, libraries are redefining themselves as community centers for the 21st century." By Project for Public Spaces.
- Are Librarians Totally Obsolete? 33 Reasons Why Libraries and Librarians are Still Extremely Important - by Will Sherman
Annette Wetteland — last modified Feb 03, 2014 02:20 PM