Registering as a Depositor
Select “Create Depositor Account” from gray bar on top right side of page. Fill out the registration form. Click on register button to submit your request for registration. You will be able to submit documents starting on the next working day.
User profile holds your contact information. Some of this information will be associated with documents you upload; some of it is purely for internal archival use. Information about your operating system is purely to help the archive administrators assist you with any technical problems.
- When entering the profile page select “Modify Profile” to complete, update, or change any relevant information.
- Click on the "Save" button at the bottom or top of the form to save your information.
In order to deposit or edit a document you must login in first. The login link is to the right of the create account link in the upper left of the IPO screen. After logging in you are taken to the Manage Deposits workspace area. This is your private workspace.
Depositing New Item
Click on “New Item” button (At any point in the depositing process you may click on the “Save for Later” button, to stop work and return to it later in your workspace.)
Select Item Type, your choices are Departmental Report, Newsletter, Book, Video, Audio, or Other. Click on “next”.
Use the Browse button to find the document file you will upload.
Select file, double click on file and it will appear in your new document box. Click on upload.
An icon and document file name should appear at the bottom of the page.
- Make sure that you document file type and the format drop down menu match.
- If your file type is not listed, use the description box to state the file type.
- Be sure the Visible to, drop down menu says anyone.
- Click on next.
In this section you will enter information about your document, its title, the date of the publication, an abstract – where you tell about the content of the document, department, and keywords – search terms related to this document, comment and suggestions.
- Title: the official title of the document as stated on the title page.
- Date: the official publication date, use year, month, and day as applicable.
- Abstract: A brief synopsis of the documents contents.
- Department: Select the department that produced the document from the drop down menu.
- Keywords: Enter words associated with the document that do not appear in the abstract.
- Comments and Suggestions: This is a non search field to send the editorial staff notes.
- Click on Next.
In the section you will add subjects that are appropriate to your document. These subjects are the terms people will search for when trying to find documents. You may use the “search for subject” box or click on the subject or plus sign drop down menu. Click on the “add” button to select a subject for your document. We recommend that you select three to five subjects for each document. Click on next.
To send the document to the editorial staff, click on the “Deposit Item Now” button. The editorial staff will check metadata for any errors or omissions, and will deposit it to the live archive or return it to your workspace for revision.
Documents that you are working on but have not deposited will remain in your workspace (Manage Deposits). In your workspace there will appear a list of all non-deposited documents. After the title there are icons that allow you to; view, remove, edit or deposit the item. When you select "edit item" it takes you directly to the creation/edit screens for that item. When you select a "view item" from the list you have several options to choose from.
- Preview - A brief description of the document.
- Details - This shows the current status of the document.
- Deposit Item – Sends the document for editor approval.
- New Version – Makes a copy of document and metadata, in order to create a version of the document that is linked to each other. (i.e. version 1, version 2, version 3)
- Used as a template - Create a new item using this item as a template. There will be no connection between the two items. (i.e. good to use for newsletter and periodic deposits)
- Edit Item - Edit the metadata and upload or delete the document.
- Remove Item – Removes the complete document.
- Edit – This allows editing of the document and metadata at any point of the depositing process; Type, Upload, Metadata, Subjects, Deposit
- History - This shows every change that has occurred to this document.
- Issues - (this selection is not currently used in our system)
NOTE – On every page you may deposit the document using the “Deposit Item” buttons that are located at the top and bottom of the page.
Site Administrator: email@example.com
Iowa Publications Online Editor
Margaret Barr, 515-281-4315
Iowa Publications Online Editor
Tom Keyser, 515-242-6542